Saturday, June 23, 2007

"Cheese-in-a-bag"?

Today I was reaquainted (sp?) with an old friend....and by old friend I mean, food I used to eat when I was younger. I haven't had it in years, in fact probably not since middle school when everyone thought I was strange for eating it. However, there were other people who used to dip carrots in chocolate malts, and I thought that was pretty weird. Anyway, as I am at home, and searching through my parents' regrigerator, I stumbled across some American cheese, or as we always called it growing up "Cheese-in-a-bag". "Cheese-in-a-bag" was always a super exciting treat at Grandma Sal's house in San Diego, CA...along with the tiny boxes of sugar cereal that mom never let us have, and tiny kid-sized cans of apple juice. Grandma Sal always had the best stuff. Anyway, upon discovery of this "Cheese-in-a-bag" at my mom's house I was ecstatic! When we were younger, while watching an episode of Mr Rogers (was that actually what the show was called, or did it have a name? something about his neighborhood maybe?) we discovered the perfect use for this disgusting "cheese-in-a-bag" concoction. Bananas! You wrap a piece of said CIAB (how I shall be abbreviating from now on becuase writing all those hyphens gets old...) around a perfectly ripe banana, and voile - the best snack ever. We ate these for many years, I owe it all to Grandma's house and Mr. Rogers. Today, as I stumbled across said CIAB in my parents' frig, I'm not gonna lie - I was pretty excited. Luckily, we had bananas, and I whipped out the ol' CIAB-banana snack. To my horror I realized what people had been telling me all along......Cheese-in-a-bag is disgusting!! Also, I hate bananas. Together these two food items make a ridiculously disgusting snack. And so, today, I say farewell to the beloved, albeit disgusting, snack of my youth. Apparently, I truly have grown up now, my tastebuds have left behind the joys of "Cheese-in-a-bag"/banana goodness. So long.

No comments: