Sunday, April 25, 2010

That Snot'll Kill Ya

I believe I'll be transforming this blog from a missionary blog to a kid-space, as that seems to be the majority of what I've written lately. I do spend a majority of my time with, learning about, and listening to kids. I've even starting making anecdotal notes in the margins of my fieldnotes to share later....here's one from Friday.

The class just began reading Charlotte's Web when they stumbled upon a word they didn't know...the word was "runt". The teacher asked if anyone knew what runts meant, here are some answers:

Student #1: "to kill someone"
Student #2: "a pig that doesn't listen a lot"
Student #3: "someone that has a runny nose!"

Yes, they did eventually learn the correct definition...

As I write, I'm sitting at Starbucks...there is a mom and her two boys at a table nearby. One of the boys is singing "Down By the Bay, Where the Watermelons Grow...." (classic kids' song!). He has repeated the same two verses (dragon pulling a wagon, and bear combing his hair) about 27 million times in a row. His mom just looked over at me and said "I'm sorry, are you getting any work done??!" I told her not to worry, I plan to be a first grade teacher and I know that song. Then I looked at the boy and said "What about the llama wearing pajamas?" and he was so surprised that he forgot that part! He has now added that to his repertoire. Cute :)

No comments: