Thursday, December 18, 2008

It's all about the witty banter...

We Are Marshall - My rating 8.5
I'll just admit it right now, I'm a total sucker for sports movies (whether it's Remember the Titans or Rookie of the Year), they pretty much always make me cry...as did this one! I enjoyed the movie immensely, despite the crying, and felt like it was a little more realistic than a lots of sports movies (in which the main goal is generally to win some sort of championship). This movie has heart! I also thought it was very refreshing to see Matthew Mcconaughey in a movie where he DIDN'T play a man-slut or an irresponsible young man. I thought he did a surprisingly good job playing a serious part and actually playing it well. Definitely one to watch...

Tales of Beedle the Bard (book)- My rating 6.0
For those of you who don't know this is somewhat of an addendum to the Harry Potter series...it is referenced in the final book of the series. It is a book of short stories that is supposedly to the wizarding community what fairytales are to the "muggle" community. Essentially, these are short stories, each with an identifiable moral at the end. I really enjoy J.K. Rowling's writing style and so even though parts of this book were a little slow, I thought it was interesting (although nothing compared to the actual novels). Worth a read for any true J.K. Rowling fan.

Monk - Season One - My rating 7.0
I actually haven't finished this yet, but from what I have watched so far it's a show that I like. The one thing I don't like about the show is Monk's sidekick/nurse. She is really annoying. Monk, however, is a very entertaining character. Despite his neurosis (which I find oddly comforting in a way, perhaps because I have similar, albeit less obvious, tendencies) I think he's a great character. Reccomend watching...

Frasier - Season One - My rating 8.0
I never realized that I would like this show! I always thought it was dull from the bits and pieces I've seen over the years, but upon undertaking to watch the entirety of it, I've discovered that the witty banter and unique characters on the show hold fast my attention.

Facedown (book)- by Matt Redman. My Rating - 9.8 (yes you heard me right).
Never on this blog has any book/magazine/movie/tv show gotten such a high rating! This book was an incredibly insightful look at worship. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who desires to deepen their love and respect of The Almighty God. All throughout the book I marked passages that either provoked great images or emotions for me that I will share with you all eventually. Definitely worth the read.

By the way - one of my co-workers, having noted what a bookworm I've become gave me a Barnes and Noble gift card for Christmas (secret santa) - what a perfect gift!

No comments: