Sunday, September 16, 2007

First Few Days....

A few short stories (I'm only telling a few, we've got lots...) and photos from our first few days in Merida...

Once we got to Caracas, we made it to our hotel, they had given us one room - not two! So, we began with some great team bonding of all sleeping in the same room. Come to find out - we alllllllll (including myself) talk in our sleep. Does it pose a good sign that we can still carry on conversations while unconscious?

Our taxi to the airport was in a minor collision, in which another car bumped us (there are no traffic laws in VZ) - we lost a piece of our bumper. The drive got out, picked it up and just kept driving.

On our flight from Caracas to Merida we were sitting pretty, happy, and ready to take off. Our plane was taxiing down the runway at break-neck speeds, as the front wheels lifted off the ground, I felt a surge of pressure (more than normal) in my head/ears, suddenly (!!!!) the emergency exit swung INTO THE PLANE!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not kidding. Luckily, I was nearer to the back of the plane. One brave Venezuelan soul jumped up and began pounding on the door of the cabin to alert the captain. We slowed after a moment of severe ear pain. The whole plane was in chaos and all the Venezuelans started pulling out cameras and phones to take pictures. We were all safely evacuated from the plane and spent houuuuuurs waiting for another one. (we made a couple friends and I got to practice my Spanish while waiting).

We were also sent to another airport (an hour outside of Merida) because by the time we actually got a flight the airport was closed. We took taxis to Merida and stood with our luggage in the rain trying to find a way to actually get into the apartment.

All of that to say.....we are here, there have been many adventures (more stories to come). Here are a few pictures of the apartment, for your viewing pleasure (I'm actually going to put them on the next one). I love it!

No comments: