Friday, April 24, 2009

Washington Beaches and Inappropriate Happenings

Tuesday was my day off this week and I opted for a little God time and me-time and headed for my newfound favorite spot - the little beach by our house. Taking advantage of the sunshine I propped myself up against some driftwood and opened my bible.

Unfortunately the rest of the world also wanted to enjoy the warmth and beauty of the sunshine. As I read, a young couple walked up with their dog. The girl was walking as if on hot coals, I thought it seemed pretty odd, the guy threw sticks in the water for his dog to fetch, and seemed perfectly at ease. I pondered why she was walking so strangely, until they walked within earshot. She was talking and talking and talking about how Washington beaches are not really beaches (let me guess, she was from California?). They had too many rocks! and too cold! and too wet! and too sandy! (ok, maybe she didn't say that). She stood awkwardly while her boyfriend played with the dog. He kept saying, "calm down! sit down!" etc...but she was irate about the state of Washington beaches, they did not meet her standard. What I really enjoyed was the (obviously a native Washingtonian) boyfriend's utter disregard for her complaints while he jumped around with the dog. Maybe I'm more of a Washingtonian than I realized....

Earlier that day I treated myself to a pedicure at a local nail salon...the ladies who work there are all Chinese and don't speak much English, but they are very sweet and helpful. The lady that was doing my pedicure was wearing a dress...and, as you may know, to do a pedicure you kind of have to straddle the foot stool area. So yes, as you can imagine, I could see all the way up her dress.This brought me to adilemna - do I try and tell her? Do I attempt to bridge the language barrier for her sake? or is it more embarassing if I say something? Then I thought, well she had to know...she had to realize what was happening, if nothing else she would have felt a draft! I eventually came to the conclusion that she did, in fact, know what she was doing, and simply didn't care. After, she was in a salon full of women. Who knows...either way, it was an awkward moment for me, and needless to say I spent the rest of the time texting so as to avoid the awkwardness.

What an exciting life I lead....

No comments: