Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Potato Peels

Back to the regularly scheduled programming of media reviews.......

I recently finished the book "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society". I give it a thumbs up! This novel consisted in a series of letters between a writer in England and group of people on the island of Guernsey. The group on Guernsey formed due to experiences with the war and became a literary society as a front to keep themselves out of trouble from the invading troops. Through these letters the story of life on Guernsey during the war is told. The characters are colorful and and entertaining. Underlying the whole thing is a love story, which eventually draws the story to a rather predictable close. All in all the front of the story is light hearted amidst telling some painful and some comical realities of wartime on the island.

The Jane Austen Literary Society - (movie) - This was an enjoyable film, although a little depressing at times. I found the main female lead a little bit aggravating in her naivete towards the male lead's obvious attraction to her. It was a little unbelievable, however the witty interaction between the characters discussing the novels of Jane Austen was enjoyable, and did inspire me to re-read some Austen classics...no, I haven't started yet. There are far too many novels on my "to-be-read" list.

Dead Poets Society - ok, I realize this is an old movie, but I hadn't seen it before. It's SO SAD! and yet, inspiring. I must admit this happened to be one of the very few roles I've ever enjoyed Robin Williams in. Usually his performances tend to be crude and obnoxious, but in this he played an English professor who uses unconventional methods to teach his students a love of poetry. While some of the teen boys' behaviors were deplorable, watching an appreciation for fine arts such as drama and poetry blossom in them makes the movie worth watching. As a side note, Ethan Hawke is in this as a young boy, he is odd looking isn't he?

I'm currently reading The Story of Edgar Sawtelle - which so far seems to be a bit wordy and slow, although insightful into the life of a young mute boy on a farm in the 1940s (I think, not quite sure). I'm also reading "The Prodigal God" by Timothy Keller. It's basically a deeper look into the 2 sins of the different brothers in the story of the the prodigal son. I find myself identifying with both the elder-son and younger-son mentalities at different times. Praise the Lord for his GRACE!!

No comments: