Friday, October 26, 2007

Love, Tear Gas, and .....

It's been a while, yeah? Things have been rather crazy the past week. Life is GOOD. I've found more and more just how much I love these people and this culture. In a moment I'm actually going to write a blog about funny/interesting differences here that I've noticed (I keep thinking of things I want to share but haven't, we'll see how many of them actually come to me while I'm writing it....).

I really do love these people and culture (to reiterate that). When imagining spending a year in Venezuela, I'm not going to lie, there were definitely some things that I was afraid of (bugs, sickness from food/water, Chavez (haha), etc....) and a lot of comforts that I realized that I was going to have to do without. Oddly enough though, I've discovered a love for these people and this style of life that I truly believe is supernatural. While the bugs are still an issue, the food is not quite always what we might have wanted and/or expected, and the world here is not sanitized to perfection the way we do things in the states, I think I've fallen in love with Venezuela. How is that possible you ask? Right, because I was already here once and by no means did I fall in love with it then....I'm really not sure, divine intervention I'd say. I know that this is the place God has for me, right now, for this year (and maybe more! as my beautiful amiga Lucia keeps hinting at) and for that He's given me a heart for these people, and the eyes to see their great need for Him.

Anyway, aside from that. What has been happening? Well looking back over the past week. Sunday was a great day of church (Nueva Vida) and then going to Aura's (a great lady from church) house for lunch (not only us, but also a group of Vida Estudiantil students and various youth from the church). She's a great cook! This was actually our second visit at her house...she has promised to teach me to cook Venezuelan food sometime - I'm excited! Monday consisted mostly in staff meetings, sharing, and a servant team meeting. On Tuesday, the day began normally. We went to the medicines campus in the morning to go sharing. In the afternoon Amanda and I had a meeting on Humanities so we left after lunch and headed there.....It was not to be a normal day after all. We got text messages from various friends during the day telling us of troubles with the bus system, due to some gas problems in Caracas or something like that (I'm really still not sure). We should have been tipped off when our bus went the back way to get to campus (rather than the normal route it's scheduled for). We got to campus and spent some time working on things for English club and chatting with a few Venezuelan friends. We had our meeting to plan for English club in one of the buildings on campus. By this time students had started telling us that there were riots happening out in the street (the reason for the bus confusion) - however, for these students riots are simply a way of life....they told us there was nothing to worry about. After our meeting, Leonel, Amanda and Teo stayed inside the building to chat and I left to go look for some friends. I came across one friend who invited me to sit in the grass with him and his friends. As we sat there listening to one of the gentleman play the guitar, with shouts and shots in the background, suddenly I realized that I was crying and my throat was burning. What?!?! One of the students jumped up, and suddenly people were pouring out of buildings, and covering their faces with clothing. That's right folks, TEAR GAS. I never thought I'd be saying "hey I got tear gassed today". But yes, it's true. It's normal here apparently. The students riot and throw rocks - the police respond with tear gas and rubber bullets. Needless to say the campus was evacuated (through a hole in the fence). Fortunately for us, we were with several Venezuelan gentleman friends from Vida that made sure we got home safe and sound. Apparently the solution is to put vinegar on a cloth and hold it over your face - dang it, how did I not know that....?!?!?!

On Wednesday, we proceeded with life as normal and had our weekly meeting. After significant technical difficulties, we got the show rolling. They made a quick video about my trip to UNESUR, so I actually had to speak at the meeting....though I got scared so I spoke in English and Clau translated. The meeting went very well. Afterwards there seemed to be the beginnings of another riot so about 330 we went home. Today, I got to meet with Lucia this morning and chat about our bible study that begins next week - yay! We also went to Subway for lunch (I know, right?) it's not the same as the US, but it was good. In the afternoon we had English club! This week I actually got to be there and participate - yay! We taught some American slang. Examples: Hey dog, where's the john? I want a cup of Joe, you're over the hill, want to catch a movie? sweet ride, "hitting on", etc.....Hitting on was definitely a favorite.

Anyway, to sum up - it was good week. I have spent a significant amount of time with students this week - despite the chaos and upset over the riots. Tomorrow morning we are going hiking at 7:00 in the morning -eek!

1 comment:

Noemma said...

Tear gas!!! My goodness! And the next day, everything was back to normal...? What the...