Friday, October 26, 2007

ham and green cheese, mmmm

Every day there are things that I'm just amazed by/amused by/ enthralled by about this culture that I want to share with you all....I'm going to list a few more, but I'll be adding as I remember more.

Toilet paper goes in the trash, not the toilet.
Public parks get significant staff to take care of them and make sure they are properly maintained (in fact if you step where you shouldn't the blow their whistles at you).
Garbage just goes in any hole that will have it. Trash cans are obselete - whether it be a hole in the sidewalk or a plant - put your trash there, it works.
Everything, and I literally mean everything is fried.
Giving kisses (on the cheek) is normal for hello and goodbye (and if you don't, you're a snob!) P.S. I love this, it's so good.
Reggaeton (basically Latin hip-hop) is everywhere - busses, grocery stores, in cars, in taxis, in the parking lot, etc...
People hang out EVERY night of the week, I don't think weekends really mean much.
Carrying vinegar with you in case of a tear gas explosion is normal.
HAM AND CHEESE is on everything (you eat it for breakfast, in your lasagna, for dessert, it doesn't matter!)
You say hola to everyone and anyone who looks remotely familiar.
Texting is a way of life - no one pays for actual cell phone minutes they just buy texts (i'm getting better at it!)
The men always want you to walk in front of them, or on the side of them if you're by traffic.
People say exactly what they think, there's not a lot of censorship (you just call people fatty, blacky, etc...)
Coffee is only the size of a shot! And that's the "grande" one.
I-pods are virtually unheard of, people are amazed that I have one.
Arepas (basically cornmeal cakes with stuff in them) are an every meal experience.
There's never any guarantee of what will be in the grocery store. Sometimes you have to go to 3 stores in search of milk, before giving up.
Sometimes they have whole aisles with only one product (not even like any variations on the product), just one product.
Being on time is a very fluid concept.
Physical affection is not weird (also something I love!)
It doesn't matter if you hardly know someone, once you meet them once, you're friends for life.
Plug ins only have 2 slots.
They are taught British English, not Amerian English.
They don't wear flip flops.
Clothing - the tighter the better, even for men (ugh!)
Washing fruits and veggies in a bleach/vinegar mixture is a daily occurrence.
Dancing is simply a way of life.
Walking up to people and talking to them, asking them questions is perfectly normal.

Ok I have a million more, but I have to go send some text messages now ( I know right?!) haha.....goodnight folks, I'll pick this up later!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You made laugh like never before!!!!!!... Bye the way, we also learn American English, we get two different accents in class, isn't it crazy?

Anonymous said...

This is Leonel, by the way.

Noemma said...

Ahhh...I miss hearing that Raggaeton everywhere...