Sunday, July 25, 2010

Longest Sand Spit in the U.S. is in my backyard!

Did you know that the Dungeness Spit is the longest sand spit in the U.S.?? I didn't! I've lived in Sequim since 4th grade (although I spent 6 years away and now am back) and I never knew this bit of trivia. Actually, apparently, Good Morning America will be doing a story on it upcoming as well. Well, how did I recently come to aquire this knowledge? For a while now, my dad and I have been looking for new challenges in the world of walking/hiking/running so last Friday we decided to walk to end of the Spit and back. Distance-wise, it is not that far (5 miles each way), however, walking on sand is an entirely different feel than walking on pavement or even dirt road. The walk was very enjoyable and we happened to go in the morning during low-tide and were able to see various seals, deer, sea anemones, dead jellyfish, and all kinds of other creatures. The lighthouse at the end is also very interesting, and is still functional, although mostly unneccesary these days with the high-tech equipment that most boats have. All in all, it was a very enjoyable trip and it's always nice to do a little exploring in your very own town!


This was taken heading down onto the Spit, it's too small to tell (taken with my camera phone) but there are two deer just waiting for us!


The lighthouse, we must be at the end! (actually, the lighthouse was originally built 1/16th mile away from the end of the Spit, but because the Spit is still growing, it is now 1/2 mile from the end, which is now a wildlife refuge).

Dad

If you are a member of the Lighthouse Association, you can sign up to spend a week at the lighthouse as a caretaker. Doesn't that sound fun??? I would love to do that...unfortunately the waiting list spans through 2011 already! Wow. Who knows where I will be by then?!

View from the top of the lighthouse. Wish I had a better camera!

No comments: