Thursday, January 28, 2010

Political Satire in the 2nd Grade

Yesterday, during my volunteering in the elementary school science 2nd grade class, I enjoyed this interaction:

Science Teacher: Now, who can give me an example of something that sinks in water?

Girl: a rock!

Science Teacher: a rock! Do you mean Iraq the country or a rock on the ground?
*class giggles*
Girl: a rock on the ground!

Boy (talking aloud in the back): A rock...Rock....Barack....Barack Obama!!??

Science Teacher (ignoring this): Ok, who has another example of something that sinks in water? Think about it, and tell your neighbor.

Boy (to his neighbor): Barack Obama!! He can sink AND he can FLY!!!!!!!



Now, I am curious as to what sort of political education this boy is receiving either at home, or from the media. At some point we have hero-ized Obama to the point that he has superhuman powers (BEYOND bringing "hope" to the world and solving all the US's healthcare problems). That flying power will come in handy if the country suddenly turns on him I suppose. My only question is, if he can fly, why do we spend so much money on Air Force One?!?!?!

*Side note, I am not against Obama. I do find it inappropriate the way he has been idolized as a savior for our country. I'm also disappointed in his choices as far as stem-cell research goes. But, all in all, I am looking forward to seeing what changes he continues making for our country, and I hope they are positive ones.*

2 comments:

Jenny said...

What fun and interesting things you will hear and experience teaching young kids!

Jenny said...

I don't know why it says Jenny - that's weird.