Friday, November 9, 2007

And a few more animals from this zoo....

Alright, now that you've gotten to know a few of the characters I work with on a daily basis....I want to introduce to a few more characters from this new-fangled picture show.....The Venezuelans! Most of these are students from Vida Estudiantil, or students that I have met here and become friends with in Venezuela....I will be adding more as the year goes, because I don't have pictures for all of them yet!


First off, Mr. Teodorrrrrrrrrrro Castillo. Teo and I go way back. Teo was actually on summer project with Amanda and I in Lake Tahoe, 2 years ago. This kid, while often times reminding me of a ferret, has the most spunk and the most entertaining way of saying things that always keeps me laughing. Although he is super busy with his school work and helping with a new church/college ministry here in Merida, and doesn't have a ton of time for Vida Estudiantil, he lives in our same apartment complex and has spent many an afternoon here keeping us company, sharing his Reggaeton with us, and making us laugh until our sides hurt. His most entertaining phrases have some confusion over the pronunciation of the words "Beaches" and the way he pronounces "Chels (Cheeeeeeels), Mom (Mon, his nickname for Amanda) and Pen Drive (Peeen Drrrrive). We love this kid!

Next up, we have Mr. Leonel Nava. This is by far the funniest picture of Leonel I have ever seen, I adore it. Leonel is our co-leader for English club, as he speaks nearly perfect English. Leonel is a very dedicated and busy student. He loves to swim, speak English and French, wear his Red and Gray Digitel uniform, and dance the night away. I heard he even won a dance contest once! Last night we tried to teach Leonel the word Decrepit, it came out De-crap-it? We had a lot of fun with that one....






Lucia, La Sapa. Lucia and I knew each other well before I got here as well. I met Lucia last summer, and she has been to the states a couple times. Lucia studies chemistry (she's a smart one!) and she spends a heck of a lot of time studying (rightfully so...) but I love to hang with her. We have a lot of fun together. Currently we are trying to start leading a bible study together, if small things like riots would stop getting in the way.....haha. Lucia's most famous english faux pas involves the saying "two peas in a pod" which instead came out "2 pieces of pie on a pot".....what?! I love you Lucia, you are TOO CUTE!


Jatniel. Jatniel is a funny chicken. He has the most energy out of anyone I've ever met, and unlike most Venezuelans - he doesn't like to dance!!
Jatniel stirs up a whole crowd with his antics whether he is being the emcee of the weekly meeting or putting on a skit, he is a fantastic actor/animator! Also a bonus - he looooooooves Kelly Clarkson, :D :D






Angela! Angela is one tough chick, whether it be traipsing across rivers in her hiking boots or wearing her "riot shoes" in case she needs to run, Angela is always prepared. I love her adventurous spirit and at the same time her deep desire to know Jesus and to do his will in her life. Right now she's in the process of finding out where God is sending her for year (for school as well).....I'm excited to see where He leads in her life!


Jesusucio! (Jesus) Jesus is our class clown (as it were), but his passion and heart for God are also resplendent amidst the silliness. I think Jesus hits on every gringa that has ever come to Venezuela, but he doesn't mean a word of it. I have been amazed to see how much English Jesus learned in the past year, he's doing a great job learning! Jesus is very involved with Vida Estudiantil as well as CENFOL. He does a lot of work with our outreach team and it's really a blessing to have his energy and joy present at all of our meetings. He is also an incredible dancer, and as terrible of a dancer as I am, he is always still willing to help teach me, awwww.


Clauuuuuuuuudia Garcia (not to be confused with Banquez) is also an essential part of our servant team. Claudia is often the level-headed one of the bunch and is great with taking care of details and getting things done! (even in a timely fashion, wow!!!!) Apparently she and I also need glasses!








more to come.....next post....i promise.....

2 comments:

Noemma said...

So who's the better dancer? Leonel or Jesucio? I wish I could dance with them again...

mom said...

I love your comments about the students. Your Blog is wonderful!! Give Amanda a HUG for me. Beth